Welcome to Sligo PPN Social Media Academy Page
In our 2020 Community Needs Analysis, the issue of Social Media Supports for Community Groups emerged as a key priority.
Sligo PPN has worked with the fabulous Digital Training Institute to develop the Sligo PPN Social Media Academy to try and support our member groups to become proficient in all aspects of social media that may support the development of their community organisations and allow them to operate in a society which has become so reliant on online communications.
The academy is a combination of online videos and downloadable guides, organised by them theme, which will give member groups an introduction to how they can use social media to enhance their operation. Groups will be given a month to fully explore these videos and try to adapt the learnings into the work of the group. Sligo PPN staff and Joanne Sweeney from the Digital Training Institute will then be organising a series of mentor clinics to support group with their individual queries, ideas etc and to offer one-to-one advice about raising the profile of their organisations. These mentor clinics will be aimed at those organisations who need support in taking the next step in escalating social media as a tool for group development. The programme will be run as a pilot initially with 10 groups being given the opportunity to participate.
Part I: Expert training videos in 5 areas
You will find a series of expert training videos under each theme; 1) Twitter for community organisations, 2) Facebook for community organisations, 3) Hosting online meetings and virtual events, 4) Managing online communities, 5) Social media storytelling
Part II: Practical Handbooks
You will find a practical handbook to read or download under each theme; 1) Twitter for community organisations, 2) Facebook for community organisations, 3) Hosting online meetings and virtual events, 4) Managing online communities, 5) Social media storytelling
Part III: Mentoring
- Mentoring will be offered to community groups based on their readiness to embed social media as part of their development.
- The mentoring phase will be launched once we feel that groups have had enough time to look through this content and decide if they need additional help
- There will be 10 slots open on the mentoring programme pilot – keep an eye out for the launch on 8th February.
- Places for mentoring are limited and will be allocated for groups who are committed to the process and are in a position to try and embed social media in their core operation and to escalate their current practises.
- Mentoring will feature an initial 1 hr consultation with Digital Training, followed by a tailored session specific to your organisation and it’s needs.
- The mentoring service is for those groups who are really ready for this social media commitment and we would ask that before going forward for mentoring, you take the time to review the content of this webpage and see if you can find your answers here.
- Following the completion of our survey analysis, we will be in touch with the details and the allocation of places for groups
A full overview of all 3 parts of the programme can be found here
THEME 1 – Twitter for Community Groups
Twitter for community organisations How Twitter can support community communications Perfecting your Twitter profile How to use hashtags effectively on Twitter Tweets with impact Video on Twitter Adding Lists to listen to key people and organisations Your Twitter plan...
THEME 2 – Facebook for Community Groups
Facebook for community organisations Facebook audit checklist Facebook posts that get most engagement How Facebook can be used to promote events Going live on Facebook Facebook insights To read our download our pdf guide : Sligo PPN Digital Academy Facebook for...
THEME 3- Hosting Online Meetings and Events
Hosting online meetings and virtual events Optimum structure of an online meeting Using Zoom for online meetings How to plan a virtual event How to host a virtual event To read or download the guide 'Hosting Online Meetings and Events' CLICK HERE To view...
THEME 4 – Managing Online Communities
Managing online communities What is an online community? How to grow an online community? How to keep an online community engaged? Facebook Groups for Community Groups To read or download our pdf guide on Managing Online Communities - CLICK HERE How to...
THEME 5 – Social Media Storytelling
Social media storytelling What is social media storytelling? How to create your content plan? How to tell your story with impact Video storytelling with your phone Video storytelling using Canva Creating graphics using Canva To read or download our pdf guide...
The onset of Covid-19 has hugely accelerated the movement of community activity online, and now more than ever community groups need additional support to get them successfully operating in the online world. Sligo PPN are also working with other partners in looking at how supports can be offered and we are delighted to be able to share with you as part of the academy a workshop that was recently held by Sligo Volunteer Centre, featuring Sligo’s own MagnumLady, Val Robus, as she talks groups through some hints and tips about making the most of social media. Click the video below to watch the full workshop.