In the PPN 2020 Needs Analysis, the issue of support for Tidy Towns groups emerged as a priority. Specifically there was a call for a programme which would help groups to prepare for the 2021 national competition.
The Sligo PPN Network has commissioned local ecologists at Woodrow to deliver training for Sligo TidyTowns groups involved with the National Competition. This initiative dovetails with other local training programmes commencing shortly including:
- PPN commissioned training on Environmental Supports for PPN groups.
- Sligo LEADER commissioned training on Biodiversity. This is an in-depth programme with interactive training session covering a range of topics, to equip communities with tools to enhance their biodiversity.
TRAINING PROGRAMME OUTLINE
Six Weekly Evening Sessions of 75 mins.
- It is proposed that this training will run for 6 consecutive weeks from Wednesday 14 April to 19 May from 7-8.15pm.
- Each session will focus on one topic, last a maximum of 75 mins and will include discussions from attendees on developing ideas discussed and putting them into action.
- To make the most of each session, we may ask attendees to register in advance.
- Throughout the sessions we will also
- Attendees should ideally be from a TidyTowns groups and numbers are not restricted.
- A tailored link for each session will be sent around to all registered groups each week
To view the pdf of the full Programme CLICK HERE
Alternatively, you can click on any of the images below for a slideshow outlining the sessions
Session Recording and Notes
To watch the full sessions click the video links below
Alternatively you can read up on all that was discussed and local examples by clicking on any of the accompanying document links
Session 1 : Low Maintenance, Wildlife Friendly Planting for Public Spaces
Session 1 – Low Maintenance Planting: Summary of the key points from the lecture. Something you can print off and bring along with you to the garden centre!!
Session 1 – Extra Resources: Summary of the chat that accompanied the talk, including recommended resources and links to various sources of information.
Example Situations – All of the photos received from community groups with a brief summary of planting suggestions as discussed. This includes the pictures that were not able to be discussed on the night.
Session 2 : Sustainability – Doing More With Less
Session 3 – Take a Tour of the Wildlife and Habitats of County Sligo
Aoife brought us on a wonderful virtual tour of County Sligo last night. We starting at the top of our mountains, and worked our way down through woodlands, fens to the coast
To see the slides from the presentation CLICK HERE
To read through the chat from the night including questions, reading recommendations and ideas for involvement CLICK HERE